BMW has just announced important updates and upgrades to its C650 range. For the 2016 model year, BMW’s maxi scooters will have new safety features, improved touring capabilities as well as a new CVT transmission. Both models will be available in new colours and ABS will be standard. You can check out the upgraded C 650 and C650 GT maxi scooters at EICMA in November but BMW has yet to announce the date when the new machines will hit showrooms.
BMW wanted to make the C 650 range more comfortable and more safe. Therefore, the Germans extensively modified the drivetrain, the suspension and the electronic package.
The upgraded 647cc twin-cylinder engine has a rated output in both models is 44 kW (60 hp) at 7,500 rpm. An A2-legal variant is also available with 35 kW (48 hp) at 7,000 rpm. Thanks to the new exhaust and engine mapping, the power plant is in EU4 pollutant class now.
A new CVT transmission set-up in conjunction with new clutch linings enables optimised clutch engagement and therefore a significantly more dynamic set-off response. This was achieved by changing the transmission ratio spread of the CVT as well as by fine-tuning the centrifugal force weights.
BMW also upgraded the suspension to offer a better compromise between sporty and comfort. ABS is standard as well as ASC (Automatic Stability Control). BMW now offers a feature that is a world first for two-wheel vehicles: the first motorcycle rider assistance system Side View Assist (SVA). This new option for the C 650 GT supports the rider when changing lane, for instance, by monitoring the blind spot. This feature is especially useful in an urban environment.
In addition to the revised engine, transmission, suspension and new safety features, the C 650 range also got new paint finishes. The C 650 Sport and C 650 GT are each offered in three colour variants.
Overview of the new features:
- New CVT set-up in conjunction with revised clutch linings for more dynamic clutch engagement and a more spontaneous set-off response.
- New suspension and damping set-up for an ideal compromise between sport and comfort.
- In addition to ABS, now also ASC as standard for maximum safety when accelerating.
- Completely new, dynamic design for the C 650 Sport.
- Detailed stylistic fine-tuning for the C 650 GT.
- New silencer for a fuller sound and more dynamic appearance.
- New instrument dial design.
- New handlebar trim elements with chrome applications.
- New, higher-quality surfaces (graining effects).
- Automatic daytime riding light.
- Revised kinematics of the centre stand for easier use.
- New rider assistance system Side View Assist (SVA) for the C 650 GT.
- New paint finishes for the C 650 Sport: Valencia Orange metallic matt,
- Lightwhite non-metallic and Blackstorm metallic
- New paint finishes for the C 650 GT: Blackstorm metallic, Frozen Bronze metallic and Lightwhite non-metallic